Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mother's Day

Hi My name is Marjorie Louise Caputo Wheeler and I'm a mom! I have two daughters, Elizabeth and Olivia.  And here's a recent photo of me with my new hair cut.
I am very blessed to have a wonderful husband.  He is also a wonderful father to our beautiful daughters. As is evident by photos like the following, he is always playing with the girls - they love to be around their dad.
He always takes it upon himself to help the girls spoil me on mother's day. In years passed Chris has cooked me breakfast in bed, usually my all time favorite Eggs in a Nest with some sort of breakfast meat like bacon or sausage.  He has purchased me flowers and/or my favorite chocolates, mindy mints.  He has usually also given me some other gift depending on the latest and greatest that year.
 
This year Chris did continue the tradition of breakfast in bed.  But I requested a special meal.  I even did the grocery shopping for any items we didn't have.  It was a delicious casserole dish with eggs, potato, cheese and mounds and mounds and mounds of bacon.  Again from my current favorite website. Super good just not so super good for you.  Served with a delicious glass of orange juice. Elizabeth came in to whisper Happy Mother's Day to me and Chris presented me with said mindy mints, a flowering plant and a bag to which I already knew what the contents were.

This year I purchased my own gift - rude you say?? Well not really.  I've been wanting to buy something very specific for a mother's style ring - you've seen them before.  A band with the birthstones of all of your children.  A ring with all of your kids names on them.  I wanted something specific.  A band for each child.  So Elizabeth was born in October, her birthstone is opal.  Olivia was born in April, her birthstone is a diamond.  Not cheap huh?  Well I've been looking for awhile and I haven't really found anything that peaked my interest or that I loved and had to have (that's my motto as of late, if you don't love it don't buy it - it is after all just a thing and if you don't love it you could live without it).

While on a recent shopping trip I found a jewelry store and went in to browse.  I just started looking and explained the one of the store clerks what I was looking for.  They didn't have the bands that I was looking for - I was sure that was what I wanted - so I just continued to look.  Unbeknownst to me the store clerk was looking over their inventory to see if she could find something that would work for me.  I made a purchase that I love - I call it an old lady ring because that is what it reminds me of but it is beautiful and unique and that is part of what made me fall in love with it.  Opals and Diamonds for Elizabeth and Olivia.  I'm glad to be their mom and I'm glad their dad spoils me when he is required to by holiday. And here it is...
In addition I also have an aunt who gave me a very special gift.  A personalized necklace with Elizabeth and Olivia's name printed on a silver circle and a small bead meant to represent their birthstones.  Thanks Aunt Helen - you are always so thoughtful.  I really appreciate the gift!

It was a wonderful Mother's Day!  In the morning we relaxed at home.  In the afternoon we went to vist family.  Chris brought Olivia home for a nap and Elizabeth and I came back home and we went to visit more family in the evening.  Mostly it was just a nice relaxing day which is what most mothers I think would want.  There was a great new episode of one of my current favorite shows The Middle wherein the mother received her mother's day wish because the father forgot to plan for a gift until three days before the celebrated holiday.  They left their mother alone all day and instead of relaxing she started to do things around the house and spent the whole day cleaning and organziging.  That is probably what I would do too instead of just reading or going for a walk or resting.  
 I am a Mother.  In some instances that statement sounds really weird to me. Some days I feel like I'm not old enough to be a mother or I'm not grown up enough to be a mother or I'm not qualified to be a mother.  I am grateful to be a mother - well on most days.  I am grateful for all the many things that my daughters are teaching me.  I am coming to understand more fully each day that being a mother is not easy.  And I'm also under the realizaton that I am turning into my mother.  Pretty much I am my mother's daughter.  I may look like my father.  But I act like my mother more and more every day.  Here's a picture of my mom with the girls last halloween. She's a super great grandma as well. Thanks for everything mom! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of buying yourself a mother's day gift. I think I'll do that from now on especially since my husband didn't get me anything this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that recipe on their blog and have wanted to try it. It sounds like you give it a thumbs up. We'll have to try it! Glad your mother's day lived up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete