Saturday, April 28, 2012

Madness, I say

If you thought February was a dry and boring read then you'll be sorely disappointed with March.  We just can't seem to shake the sickness of 2012.  If it isn't one thing then it's another and I'd rather not have either.  This month brought us our first and prayerfully last bout with the evil that is more medically known as croup. Our girls have never had it before so I didn't even know what it was but if you've ever listened to the famed 'bark' cough you know what I'm talking about.

I took Elizabeth to the doctor and they gave us a steroid in an oral pill.  The steroid is supposed to help open the airway so that you can breath more easily. Needless to say it will be a very long time before Elizabeth ever takes a pill again - it was nasty in color, nasty in taste and I almost had to sit on her to get her to swallow it.  When given the choice between a pill or a shot Elizabeth and her mother prefer the brief poke.

Olivia started with the barking cough a few days later.  It was still cold outside (reference Chris' early morning shot from our front yard below) and so we were able to use the home remedy of alternating 10 minutes in a super hot steam bath and 10 minutes outside wrapped up in a blanket in the cold air.  Again the cold air helps to keep the airway open (or so I'm told).  Finally our tiny master bathroom came in handy - our bathroom just has the tub and shower combo and the toilet in one room then the sick and mirror are out separately - so it only took about 30 seconds with the water on as hot as possible to create enough steam - I could charge people to use that baby.
We didn't have enough super cool nights so we resorted to what is called a cool mist humidifier and man those things are awesome.  Works like a regular humidifier but spits out cool mist.  I might bust one out in my bedroom when the weather gets really hot this summer - although I'm not sure I'll be able to withstand the humidity.

Finally it was the parents turn to be sick.  Both Chris and I had a turn with a head cold.  Thankfully again nothing major but just enough to make it so you can't really do anything fun.  And what's worth doing if it's not fun.  We just can't seem to kick this bad habit.

It did start to warm up a bit so we were able to get out of the house a few days.  On one such occasion we took a drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon and we stopped at a few stops to stretch our legs and have lunch.  It was nice to get out in fresh air and we were able to see the last of the snow.
 
 
Another outing was our first trip to the zoo this year.  We had a nice time until Olivia remembered there is a carousel at the zoo.  It's fun to ride until she wants to ride it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  She does love Zebras so it is nice to see how excited and happy she is.  We love the zoo.  It may be small and they may be doing renovations all the time but it is neat to get to see all the animals and of course ride the 'merry go round'.
 
Elizabeth had to miss a few days of preschool - well okay more than a few - due to all the illness.  Her sweet teacher saved and sent home all of the work and crafts that they did at school.  One of them was rock so we went hog crazy.  Elizabeth made a rock man and Olivia made a rock bug.
 
I made another attempt at home cooking.  We made our own re-fried beans from canned, dry pinto beans.  I actually didn't do it the correct or traditional way but just threw all the ingredients in the crock pot and let time do the work.  They turned out really delicious and I saved some for future use in the freezer.  I made some whole wheat pancakes with our wheat that we are grinding and we added chocolate chips to entice the children.  Olivia really liked them.  Lastly I found a recipe for no knead bread and I must say it's the easiest and most delicious thing I've ever made in my entire life.  It is crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. We've decided you could cut the dough in half and make two bread bowls for soup.  Mmmmmm bread.

Chris sent me this picture one night while I was away from home.  I believe I was at a basketball game but it is possible it was a volleyball game and even more possible I was just hiding from taking care of the girls.  Sometimes you have to just take a time out so you can be a more patient mom. What more could a girl want?  Two daughters with blue tongues.  My pride and joy.

1 comment:

  1. I need those recipes! Those look fabulous.

    Croup is scarey, but thankfully, the cold air/steam typically works. We've become croup experts at our house. My Pediatrican also told us you can open your freezer and let that cold air work too if it's in the summertime.

    Hope you don't have to deal with that again.

    ReplyDelete